Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tribute to My Father

I spoke at my father's funeral, along with my two brothers.  It was such a great tribute to our father, he was a great dad.  I wanted to share my words on my blog,  so anyone who reads it can see how lucky I was to be blessed with my father for 52 years.




I feel so lucky to have had Cleo Seabourn as a father.  He gave me the gift of unconditional love, no matter what I did; I always knew that he would be there for me.  He was generous and always willing to help his children, wanting to make sure we were all okay.  He was a one of a kind, I am so proud of him.  Later in life he would ask me if he had done all he could have for us kids, with tears in his eyes, you could see how important that question was.  I think he sometimes doubted himself, but there was never a reason he should have. I was his baby girl, he made me feel special, appreciated, loved and as my brothers can attest to, spoiled.  My brothers were a source of pride for my dad, he taught them how to do everything, and he was a jack-of-all-trades.  He sometimes gave them a hard time, I think it was because they were boys and he wanted them to be a little rough and tough.  But his love was just as strong, always there to lend a helping hand to them when needed in any way he could.

He had three granddaughters, Vicki, Brandi and Brittni.  He loved each of these girls, there was never a day that went by when I was visiting that he didn’t ask how my daughter Brittni was doing, even when he grew so weak.  Vicki and Brandi are much older than my children, but I watched him with them and all the love he gave them.  Nothing would keep him from his grandchildren.  My son, Brandon was his buddy, even during the tough teen years, my father had such a positive influence on him, always patient and kind, when everyone else had been tested.  They all loved their grandpa. His love carried on to his great grandchildren, he had only four grandchildren, but ten great-grandchildren. My father was also a dedicated husband, who pushed through his pain on a daily basis to be at home to help my mother with Alzheimer’s.  Even during the last days of his life, his first priority was my mother.

Cleo Seabourn was a great man, the best in my eyes, and I do thank God for giving me the opportunity to be his daughter. He instilled in our family a bond, honesty and taught us to stand up for what we believe.  Family was important no matter what was going on, he loved it we were all together.  We had wonderful Christmas together, and my dad’s eye would light up seeing everyone together.  Thank you dad for teaching me the lessons of life that are really important, family, hard work, pride in yourself and loyalty.  Family is meant to help one another in times of need, that is what is right and this was taught by watching him.  I hope those of us left behind carry on this lesson.  Thank you dad for giving me the love and nurturing that I needed growing up, you were the best father a girl could have had. I love my dad and always will.  And the last thing I ask of you dad, is to do me one more favor, take care of Brandon for me, since you had to leave us, I am thankful that you are with him, buddies together again.  The time has come for you to go home and enjoy heaven with all your loved ones; we will see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment